International Adjunct Faculty


Faculty Support 

Smith College School for Social Work
Lilly Hall 
Northampton, MA  01063  USA
tel: (413) 585-7978  fax: (413) 585-7994


The College is required by federal law (the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986) to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees. If you accept an offer of an appointment, you must meet with Human Resources (30 Belmont Avenue) and the College Payroll Office (College Hall – Room 204) upon arrival to complete all of the necessary paperwork in order to get paid. These offices will go over the necessary paperwork and let you know if you are covered by a tax treaty with your country of citizenship. If you wish to review what you will need to bring with you, please look under Policies and Procedures for payments for non-resident aliens.

Dean of International Students

In addition to the foregoing, if you are not a citizen of the United States and do not have an unrestricted right to work in the United States, your appointment and continued employment are contingent upon your securing the appropriate visa (or visa extension) so that you may work in this country and be legally employed by the College.  As soon as possible, you must contact Caitlin Szymkowicz, Associate Dean for International Students & Scholars, at (413) 585-4905 or to address your visa status.   In order to expedite the process, you can fill in a Foreign National Information Form (FNIF) and send it to the above email address. If the required visa or visa extension is not obtained in a timely manner, your employment and compensation may be terminated.

For more information, visit the Office of International Students and Scholars.

You must have a US-based Social Security number in order to be paid; if you do not already have one, you will need to apply in the US. Within 3 business days of your arrival, you must also meet with Caitlin Szymkowicz to register your passport and enroll in health insurance coverage, or to show proof of your own insurance coverage.

Important Note:  Given the time–consuming nature of these procedures, we require that all international faculty arrive at least 3 business days in advance of the first day of your appointment. (If you taught at Smith last year, and feel that your requirements have been taken care of, please contact Caitlin Szymkowicz and she can waive the need to arrive 3 business days in advance of teaching if appropriate.)

Payroll & Tax Treaty Forms

Filing of all payroll and tax treaty forms should be done at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise, payment of salary may be delayed and/or withholding at 30 percent will be required.

IRS notice 1392 contains specific instructions on how nonresident aliens should complete the W-4 form as well as other pertinent information.

  • Valid work visa or EAD (Employment Authorization Document) from Visa Office.
  • Valid U.S.-issued Social Security number
  • Form 8233 for tax treaty exemption* (Social Security number is required)

*Not all countries have a tax treaty with the United States; check with the payroll office.