Ph.D. Types of Financial Aid

Smith College School for Social Work (SSW) offers a variety of types of financial aid to assist domestic students in paying for their education. In order to be considered, you must apply for financial aid annually by the published deadlines. Please review our aid policies for important information.

The deadline for applying for Financial Aid is March 1.

Grant Aid

All need-based aid is awarded as grant funding; grants do not need to be repaid. (A separate application is required to be considered for need-based aid.)

Federal Student Loans

Federal loans are a form of financial aid that must be repaid with interest.

Outside Aid

Some students receive scholarships, grants, Veteran's benefits, and employee tuition benefits from sources outside of Smith College.