Advanced Standing Application
Admission Requirements for Advanced Standing
Candidates for admission must be graduates of Bachelor of Social Work programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Normally, candidates must have completed their B.S.W. within six years of the application to Smith College, but exceptions may be considered.
In order to be considered for admission, applicants are asked to submit the materials below.
Important Note: Advanced Standing status is only for those who have completed a Bachelors in Social Work (B.S.W.) degree. The School does not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience.We strongly recommend applying early admission to be able to accomodate field placement.
Transfer Application Materials
Candidates who want to transfer from another accredited school of social work may consider one of two paths.
Transfer Course Credits: A candidate may apply as an first-year student and request that up to 12 credits be transferred into their Smith degree. This option is ideal for candidates who have recently entered their MSW program. Credits must have been earned at a CSWE accredited institution and grades submitted must be a B or better. Once an admission offer has been made, entering students would submit a transfer request form with supporting documentation, including a syllabus and a statement as to how the course met SSW requirements, to the Registrar’s Office by the posted deadline in order for the transfer request to be considered. The appropriate sequence chair, in consultation with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, will make the decision with regard to the transfer credit. No credit will be granted for previous work experience or life experience.
Transferring a Full Year: A candidate who has completed or will complete a full year of coursework and field work at another CSWE accredited MSW program may apply to enter Smith as a second-year student. Transfer students must meet SSW admission requirements and submit a transfer application. We strongly recommend applying early admission to be able to accomodate second year field placement, which takes place in January. Before submitting an application, applicants considering transfer should schedule an appointment to discuss their intentions to apply with the Associate Dean of Graduate Enrollment by contacting the Office of Admission. The School does not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience.
- By creating an account, you'll be able to save and return to your application at any time.
$60 application fee
Field Placement Form- The process of matching an applicant to a specific internship assignment is a careful one taking into close consideration the applicant’s learning and living needs as well as the requirements stipulated by SSW’s affiliated agency partners.
- We require three letters of reference, one of which must be from your field placement supervisor or, if you are currently working, your current supervisor.
- It is your responsibility to follow up with reference writers to ensure completion.
- Reference writer PDF (If you are unable to contact your reference writers using our system above, complete the top portion of this form and distribute to your reference writers)
Official Transcripts- B.S.W. degree must have been completed within the past 6 years (exceptions may be made, please contact us) from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Required from all institutions from which you have received, or will receive, academic credit and include courses, credits and grades for each course.
- Transferred credit to the degree-granting institution may be listed but must include the courses, credits and grades from the degree granting courses, and the courses, credit amounts and grades from the transfer college or a separate, official transcript from the college from which transfer credits were obtained is required.
- An unofficial/student copy of the transcript may be used as a placeholder until the official copy arrives. Please email unofficial transcripts to email@example.com.
- Transcripts should be mailed to: Smith College School for Social Work, Office of Admission, Lilly Hall, Northampton, MA 01063
B.S.W. Field Internship Information- Approximately one page, double spaced
- Please describe the nature of your B.S.W. field practicum, including a description of the setting in which you worked and your primary role and responsibilities.
- Face Sheet
- Case Summary and Intervention
Employment-Based Field Internship Form (if applicable)
- Five College Circle of Scholars Deadline: November 30
- Non-Binding Early Decision Deadline: January 5
- Regular Admission Deadline: March 1
This application does not require the GRE or the MAT. If you have taken these tests and would like to submit them with your application you are welcome to do so but you are not obligated and the vast majority of applicants do not submit these scores. However, on occasion, the school may request one or the other of these standardized tests as needed.
English as a Second Language
An applicant whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT); official scores must be sent to the School by February 1.