Advanced Standing Status
Advanced Standing status is only for those who have completed a Bachelors in Social Work (B.S.W.) degree.Advanced Standing allows students to begin their academic journey as a second year student and to complete their M.S.W. degree in just 15 months.
B.S.W. graduates bring a unique set of skills and commitment to social work; Smith recognizes this and is eager to welcome them to our community! In recognition of this significant professional grounding, Smith offers Advanced Standing Status for any applicant who has completed their B.S.W. within the past 6 years (exceptions may be made, please contact us) from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Those with advanced standing start by entering directly into second-year classes in June, move directly into a second-year field internships from September to April, return for final electives in June, and then graduate in August. Because our field internships include 960 field hours, Smith Advanced Standing graduates leave with nearly twice as many internship hours as any other school for social work graduate. This makes them more professionally confident and competent professionals.
Apply for Advanced Standing Status Now!
Advanced Standing Program Curriculum
Students admitted as Advanced Standing have the majority of first year requirements waived . First summer courses (with the exception of SOCW 516, Problems in Biopsychosocial Function), first field internship, and field seminar are waived. To meet the requirements for an M.S.W. degree, all candidates will successfully complete 70 quarter hours as defined below:30 quarter hours of field internships
2 quarter hours in field seminars
6 quarter hours of a community practice anti-racism experience
14 quarter hours of specific core courses
8 quarter hours in sequenced electives
10 quarter hours of elective courses in any sequence
- Entering Summer Required Courses (7 courses, 14 quarter hours)
- Field Internship (1 course, 30 quarter hours)
- Winter SOCW 680
- Field Seminar (1 courses, 2 quarter hours)
- Winter SOCW 681
Community Practice Anti-Racism Experience
- Community Practice Anti-Racism Experience (1 course, 6 quarter hours)
- Winter SOCW 682
- Social Work Practice (1 courses, 2 quarter hours)
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment (1 course, 2 quarter hours)
- Social Welfare Policy and Service (1 course, 2 quarter hours)
- Research (1 course, 2 quarter hours)
- Additional credits required for degree may come for any sequence (5 courses, 10 quarter hours)