Employment-Based Field Internships
The Smith College School for Social Work is pleased to introduce Employment-Based Field Internship learning sites (EBFI). The EBFI program allows applicants currently working in social service settings to apply to intern at their current work site and to continue to be paid. This new program is designed to:
- Attract those most committed to social work who are already working in agencies serving oppressed and/or disadvantaged populations.
- Allow students to continue to work in their current jobs while they undertake field internship learning in their first year at Smith!
- Make it possible for students to continue to earn an income while they are in school!
If you are wondering if your agency could serve as an EBFI, consider the following preliminary questions:
Can your agency provide you with:
- a total of 960 hours in field internship learning between mid-August and the end of May?
- the flexibility to take classes on Smith's campus for 10 weeks from June through mid-August?
- the opportunity to change your work focus and role (or provide you a new position) within the agency?
- new learning experiences within the agency that will expand your skills as a social worker?
If you were able to answer “yes” or “possibly” to all of the above questions, it might be worth discussing EBFI options with your supervisor.
Applying for the EBFI will require you and the agency Director of Training or an Official Agency Representative to jointly complete the EBFI Application.
If you have any questions about the EBFI, please email the admission office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Currently, EBFIs are restricted to states in which Smith is currently affiliated.
- This program is currently designed for the first-year field internship for entering students.*
- EBFIs are designed for one time, one year internship only.
*Second-year students may apply for an exception to this policy by contacting the Field Office no later than January 10.
Find out more about Smith SSW!