Clinical Consultation Services
Overview of ServicesFree Individual Consultation
As in the past, the Smith College Schacht Center provides SSW students with an opportunity to seek consultation on the best ways to support themselves with a variety of concerns either through direct consultation or by exploring appropriate referrals local to the student's home base. The Center provides short-term consultation (5 sessions) and referral services to local providers for those who want counseling beyond what can be provided through the consultation sessions or therapy. The professional staff at the Center can also connect students to other campus resources as needed.
Schacht Center Social Workers will additionally offer two support groups. To register for groups, please email the Schacht Center indicating your wish to participate in the group.
The groups being offered include the following:
- Support Group for Students of Color with Jamecia Estes, LICSW First & Second Session (beginning week 2), day/time TBA
- Grief Support Group with Meg Laird, LICSW Second Session, Wednesdays 1:00 - 2:15 pm EST
To arrange a consultation session at the Schacht Center please send an email requesting an appointment or call 413-585-2800. When you schedule your appointment, you will receive instructions on how to complete initial paperwork by logging onto our patient portal.
To accommodate students in a range of time zones, counselors will provide consultation sessions according to student requests and individual counselor availability. If you have urgent need, please contact the Schacht Center by email or phone 413-585-2800 during regular, summer office hours 9 a.m.- noon and 1 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., EST. All consultation sessions will be provided using HIPAA compliant Zoom. You will receive instructions from your assigned Licensed Clinical Social Worker about how to access their personal Zoom room after your appointment is scheduled.
Smith Campus Based Resources:
- Counseling Service After Hours 413.585.2840
- Campus Police 413.585.2490
- Clinical & Support Options (24/7 crisis hotline): 413.586.5555
- Center for Women & Community 413.545.0800 (Support for survivors of sexual assault, all genders; 24/7 hotline)
- Safe Passage 413.586.5066 (interpersonal Violence, 24/7 hotline)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1.800.273.8255
- The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Suicide Hotline) 1.866.488.7386 (for those 24 years of age or younger)
- Trans Lifeline 1.877.565.8860
- Crisis Text Line Text HOME to 741741
- Crisis Text Line for Students of Color Text STEVE to 741741 7
- Cups Online Therapy & Free Counseling
- 7 Cups Online Support for Students of Color
- Online LGBTQ Counseling
For students with Smith Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance, a step- by- step guide to locating a therapist can be found here.
For students with other insurance plans, here are some tips on finding a mental health provider in your area who accepts your insurance plan:
- Go to your insurance plan website to locate a “behavioral health provider,” or call your insurance company to ask for the names of some providers in your area.
- Search Psychology Today for therapists who take your insurance (appropriate licenses include LICSW/LCSW, LMFT, LPC, LMHC, PhD, and PsyD).
- Contact a college or university counseling center in your area to ask for referrals to nearby therapists.
- Ask people you know and trust in your town/city if they can recommend a therapist.