In order to ensure compliance with Massachusetts’ mandate on health insurance coverage, all registered SSW students taking 3/4 or full-time credit hours or more are automatically enrolled in and billed for the School’s health insurance plan.
About the plan:
The School's 2023-24 plan is effective June 1, 2023 to May 31, 2024
Information about the School's plan can be found here: www.gallagherstudent.com/SmithSSW
Health Insurance coverage through Gallagher Insurance will begin for all students on June 1 and student accounts will be charged accordingly. If you have qualifying health insurance coverage, you may waive out of the Gallagher coverage by using this link: www.gallagherstudent.com/smithssw. The deadline for waiving health insurance is June 16, 2023.
URGENT: Be sure to promptly waive Gallagher Health Insurance by June 16 if you are otherwise covered; this is a hard deadline and extensions will not be granted. You will continue to be billed for insurance unless you waive.
Students must provide proof of alternative, comparable coverage.
For first and second summer students:
- 12 month Insurance Cost - $7,388
- Insurance Coverage Period - 12 Months
- Insurance Coverage Start and End Dates: June 1, 2023- May 31, 2024
For final summer students:
- 3 month Insurance Cost - $TBA
- Insurance coverage period- 3 months
- Insurance Coverage Start and End Date: June 1, 2023 - August 31, 2023
Health Care Subsidies
All first/second year students will receive a $500 healthcare subsidy after enrolling with Gallagher Health; third summer students will receive a $125 healthcare subsidy.
Second/Third year students who can document that they are leaving state-funded Medicaid* Programs qualify for an additional $1,000 health care subsidy for each 12 month period; third summer students will receive an additional $250 healthcare subsidy. Documentation must be provided to Gallagher Insurance through Waiver process no later than June 16, 2023; exceptions will not be made.
Health Care Subsidies will be applied to student accounts within 3 weeks of the final waiver deadline, June 16, 2023.
*Medicaid coverage from MA, RI, CT, VT, and NH meet acceptable area coverage terms and will qualify for the insurance waiver if submitted by June 16.
Before waiving coverage you should review your current policy to be sure that it provides comparable coverage by considering the following:
Will your current plan cover medical care beyond emergency services (i.e. doctor's office visits; diagnostic testing, labs and x-rays; and prescription drugs)?
Does your health plan have doctors and hospitals in the Five College area and in your field internship area?
Will your current plan cover inpatient and outpatient services in the Five College area and field internship area?
If you are able to receive care, will you have to pay upfront and then seek reimbursement?
- Visit www.gallagherstudent.com/SmithSSW.
- Login using your Smith SSW email address. If you are a first-time user, you would have received an email from Gallagher with your temporary password. If you are a returning user, please use the password you previously created. If you do not remember your password, please select the ‘forgot password’ option and follow the instructions from there.
- Once logged into your Gallagher account, under the My Coverage Options box, click on the 2023-2024 Smith College SSW Student Blue Plan link (and the 2023-2024 Smith College SSW Dental plan link if you wish to voluntarily enroll in dental coverage).
- You should now see the Enroll and Waive buttons present on the left-hand side of the page.
- Select the appropriate button and follow instructions from there.
- Save your reference number. Please note that receipt of this number only confirms submission, not acceptance of your form.
Questions and Concerns
For questions or concerns regarding the Gallagher Health Insurance Plan, contact Gallagher at 1-888-272-4952 or visit gallagherstudent.com/SmithSSW and select "Help Center" under "Resources."
Questions about payment deadlines may be directed to email@example.com.